The Shop and Tower has now reopened for visitors between 10.00am and 4.00pm (12noon and 4.00pm on Sundays). Access to the Church remains free but visitors will need to purchase a ticket for the tower for an allocated period of 20 minutes. Please enter through the High Street door and leave through the Radcliffe Square exit. Please note that visitors are now required by law to wear a face covering while inside the church.
The tower is the oldest part of the church still visible today. It dates from 1280 and is decorated with beautifully carved gargoyles and grotesques. The 127 steps up to the top lead you past the Clore Old Library and the historic bell ringing chamber.
Monday-Saturday• 10.00am - 4.00pm
Sunday • 12.00pm - 4.00pm
*Last admissions to the tower are 20 minutes before closing.
Tickets may be purchased from the gift shop at the base of the tower
Tickets may be purchased from the Welcome Desk at the entrance on the High Street. There are no concessions.
To climb the tower, you must be aged 8+. Children must be accompanied at all times.
Please note that the tower may be closed at short notice if weather conditions make climbing the tower too hazardous. Access to the tower is via a medieval spiral staircase and so we regret that there is no disabled access to the tower. Please read our Terms and Conditions for further information.
Keeping You Safe
We are committed to the health and safety of all who visit the University Church during the current pandemic. In our on-going efforts to assist in preventing the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following enhanced protocols and procedures which you will notice during your time with us.
- A designated entrance on the High Street and a designated exit through the tower into Radcliffe Square
- A one way route through the University Church reinforcing social distancing guidelines
- A limit to the number of people in the University Church at any one time – please note you may be asked to queue
- A limit to the number of people in the Shop at any one time
- Timed tickets for the tower to reduce queues
- Restricted access for tour groups
- Seating to be used only for services at designated times - some seating is available for private prayer in the Chancel
- The provision of hand sanitizer stations throughout the site
- Card and contactless payment facilities
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of touchpoints including handles, rails, seating and other facilities
What can you do to help?
- Please visit us at another time if you or a member of your household or group are feeling unwell
- Wash your hands with the hand sanitiser provided
- Wear a face covering
- Observe social distancing at all times and follow the one way route around the University Church
- If you need to cough or sneeze, please do so into your elbow, not in your hand or the air