Guidance for Tour Groups visiting the University Church
We warmly welcome tour groups and their leaders to St Mary’s. This is an ancient and significant building in the story of the city and the University. This sacred place is open every day of the year to individuals and groups.
In order to preserve the prayerful atmosphere which attracts many visitors to the Church, and to ensure the safety of all visitors, we would respectfully ask you to observe the following guidance:
- The maximum number of people in each tour group (including the guide) is 20.
- Groups must enter the church via the High Street door and leave via the shop. This helps us to manage the large groups of people waiting to go up the tower. Please do not stop in the entrance area or impede access to the building in any way.
- Please keep noise to a minimum in order to avoid disturbing those who have come here to pray. The Chancel is reserved for silent prayer.
- Every week day (Monday – Friday), the Eucharist is celebrated in the Chancel between 12.15- 12.45pm. There are other occasional services and groups are asked to respect the advertised times of prayer and worship during the day. Please note that during July and August, a service will take place on Sunday afternoon between 3.30-4.15pm.
- Group leaders must follow any instructions given by our staff, particularly in relation to fire safety and evacuation.
- Groups are requested to respect the opening times for visiting: 9.30am – 5.00pm Monday – Saturday and 12noon – 5.00pm on Sundays. In the months of July and August, opening times are extended to 6.00pm.
We want to make people feel welcome at St Mary’s and to improve the experience for everybody. Please note that school groups should contact the Parish Office before their visit. We look forward to working with you and we hope that you enjoy your visit.